The aims and objectives of the Society are to advance the art, science, and practice of surgery for the treatment of cancer in animals and people, and to disseminate knowledge to help provide the highest possible standard of surgical treatment for cancer. Specific objectives are to:
- Encourage and promote clinical research trials in surgical oncology.
- Encourage and facilitate the publication of research trials at professional meetings and in veterinary and human journals.
- Facilitate communication between veterinary surgeons whose primary interest lies in oncology.
- Improve methods of surgical treatment for animals with cancer, either alone or with a multidisciplinary approach.
- Promote and encourage mutual collaboration between veterinary surgeons with a special interest in surgical oncology and other branches of oncology.
- Encourage and promote education in surgical oncology for professional veterinary students, graduate students and house officers, and graduated veterinarians and veterinary surgeons.